2.22.2009

you, darkness

everyone always thinks me a heretic when they find out that i am not a huge fan of light. i was very excited to originally find out that my new office at the church would be windowless. and, to be honest, i was a little disappointed to discover that my actual new office has not one, but two windows! {disclaimer: given that there are those who desperately wanted windows and did not get them, this is in no way a complaint of any sort.}

but, after reading this poem, i think rilke would have understood me...
you, darkness
by ranier maria rilke

you darkness, that i come from
i love you more than all the fires
that fence in the world,
for the fire makes a circle of light for everyone
and then no one outside learns of you.

but the darkness pulls in everything-
shapes and fires, animals and myself,
how easily it gathers them! -
powers and people-

and it is possible a great presence is moving near me.

i have faith in nights.
good night, my friends.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Total Pageviews