4.14.2010

body & soul

while doing yesterday's Life Journal, i came across these verses...
Jonathan said to his young armor-bearer, “Come, let’s go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised fellows. Perhaps the Lord will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the Lord from saving, whether by many or by few.”

“Do all that you have in mind,” his armor-bearer said. “Go ahead; I am with you heart and soul." | 1 Samuel 14:6,7 {emphasis mine}
the Israelites were at war with the Philistines, and one day the king's son, Jonathan, comes up with what can only be described as half of a plan. and given his words, i'm not even sure it is the good half of this plan!

i don't pretend to know what it would have meant to be the armor-bearer to the king's son. was it an enlisted position, or was it more of a servant or slave thing? i don't know, but i don't think it matters... because of his words.

"I am with you heart and soul."

there is no doubt here. no wavering. regardless of the plan, or lack thereof, this young armor-bearer is with Jonathan, whether or not God will act on their behalf.

i find beauty in this.

working my way through a patch of relational disappointment, this idea of being with someone body and soul rings strong in me, and is making me so much more grateful for those whom, by their actions and words, i know are with me, even if it has to be more soul than body at times.

you cannot be with a large group of people in this way. one would be divided and not able to be there for anyone if they chose to be there for everyone.

so, this morning, i am thinking about and praying for my people...
  • the family without whom i would be an asocial puddle.
  • the BFF, with whom all the laughter and tears we have ever shared rings like an opus in my memory.
  • the co-worker/friend who graciously caffeinates me, listens to me rant and occasionally talks me off ledges from monday to friday.
  • the friend who tries to solve the world's problems with me from a table at Starbucks every weekend...
these are some of my people... those i am with as 'body and soul' as i can be.

my heart is filled with gratitude.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Total Pageviews