3.23.2010

simple

it seems to be another time of sleep eluding me. for the most part, once i am asleep, i am {unless dragged out} able to stay there. but the act of falling asleep seems like gambling... not a lot of return for the effort and desire expended.

not sleeping is generally a time to pull out my journal, and go through all that is written in there. the Moleskine that i carry with me every day has everything in it from my own writing, to Rilke's poetry to quotes to sermon notes.

this is one of the quotes in my journal...
men invent means and methods of coming at God's love, they learn rules and set up devices to remind them of that love, and it seems like a world of trouble to bring oneself into the consciousness of God's presence. yet it might be so simple. is it not quicker and easier just to do our common business wholly for the love of him? | Brother Lawrence
i am such an inventor of means and methods at coming at God's love. i know that too often i make things more difficult than they actually are, perhaps partly because of my personality, but probably mostly so that i, myself will feel more worthy.

so i can feel more worthy? what kind of craziness is that?
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. | Romans 5:8
given the complexity that i usually create in my life, i love the simplicity that Brother Lawrence presents in these few words.

might it really be so simple?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Total Pageviews